Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Back to Step 1

School has, as predicted, left me with very little time to work on Nwain.  However, this could be a good thing.

I've been discussing the plot with the boyfriend, and he pointed out that I was trying to fit the story into too small a space.  "Just tell your story, use as many pages as it takes," he said.  I was skeptical; I figured adding a bunch of pages would multiply the amount of work I'd have to do as an artist.  I want to work efficiently so I can actually complete this project.  The next day--the very next day!--my Storyboards teacher gave us a handout, with this written on it:
You cannot tell a full hero's journey in a short!  Do so at your peril.
 I'm beginning to think this is sound advice.  (By the way, that is the exact wording.  I don't think it's an exaggeration.)  I trust this advice.  I also know I want to write a full hero's journey.  I now know I can't do that in 22 pages.  So there we have it.  Nwain will have to be longer.  It goes against one of my original goals, but I can accept that.  It helps that I don't have a deadline for this thing.  It'll be finished when it's finished.  Probably in a few years.

Doodles have been cropping up in my notebooks and scrap papers.  There's quite a cast of characters, and it'll be good to have more room to get to know them.  I'll also have to work hard on visually designing a few.  Nwain's competition in the tournament, "Fire Sprite Girl" and "Defender Guy" (both unnamed as of yet), will need particular attention, lest they get stuck in the Mire of Miserable Cliches.  Hmm, maybe that can be a place in the Dreamworld.  The Mire of Miserable Cliches.  Full of depressed ninjas.


Okay, that's it.  I kept my promise!  It's only been two months since my last blog entry.  Hot dang.  See you around Turkey Day, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment